Reception Class Curriculum Newsletter
Autumn Term One, 2017-2018
Welcome to the Cubs, our Reception class, and also to Market Deeping Community Primary School. We hope that you all had a wonderful summer and are looking forward to the excited times ahead. The children have had a fabulous first few days in school and are all settling in really well. They are having lots of fun exploring the classroom and making new friends. This letter aims to provide some useful information about the term ahead.
Topic This plan gives use an idea of the work your child will be doing during the term. Our topic this term is Traditional Tales.
Harvest and Autumn
· Magic Porridge Pot
· Elves and the Shoemaker
· The Little Red Hen
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
· Making new friends and being happy to talk to new people.
· Taking turns and sharing.
· Talking about their homes, families and communities.
· Classroom rules.
· Talking about their feelings.
· Circle time activities.
Communication and Language
· Following instructions.
· Joining in games and activities.
· Listening to adults and friends.
· Talk about themselves and their families.
· Use different media for mark making in such as glitter, flour, gloop, corn flour, sand, compost, coloured sand.
· Using fine motor skills when– threading, colouring, cutting.
· Carefully moving in and out of different spaces.
· Getting ourselves changed for P.E.
· Introducing cursive letter formation.
· Listen and join in with stories and rhymes.
· Talk about story sequencing, setting and the characters.
· Explain their writing.
· Phonic activities.
· Counting and recognising numbers.
· Compare and measure the size of objects.
· Exploring shapes and using them to build and construct with.
Understanding of the World
· Talking about their families and friends.
· Looking at seasonal changes linked to autumn.
· Begin to understand about Harvest.
Expressive Arts and Design
· Join in with nursery rhymes and songs.
· Sing familiar songs.
· Explore painting, modelling, dough.
· Drawing self-portraits.
PE Our PE days are Monday and Wednesday. Please ensure PE kit is in school all week, in case we have a change to the timetable.
Children will be assessed throughout the year. We use an online recording and tracking system called Target Tracker. Each child will have their own ‘Learning Journey’ which includes observations, photographs and assessments based on what they have been doing at school. We would love parents to contribute to their learning journeys by recording your child’s achievements at home on a Wow sheet. The Wow Sheet is a way for you to record those moments when your child says or does something that makes you think "wow"! We are always interested in any special moments that children experience in their home environment. We would love to share the children’s news in our circle time and we will place them in their Learning Journey. A link to the wow sheet will be on the website for you to print of we also have copies in the classroom just ask a member of staff.
We are holding a curriculum Meeting on Wednesday 20th September at 5.30pm
Please ensure that all uniform, PE kits, lunchboxes and drinks bottles are clearly named.
Please can you make sure that your child has a named coat in school now that the weather is getting colder.
We are looking forward to working with you and don’t forget if you have any worries or questions please do not hesitate to ask!!
The Foundation Stage Team