|| Communication and Language
- A variety of role play situations minibeast explores
- Talk about our minibeast walk. List some of the things we saw.
- Recount of Stories.
- Ask the children to describe the minibeasts, fast, slow, tickly, slimy, long, short, hard, delicate.
- Clap out the syllables of the children’s names counting them.
- Children encouraged to write their full name rather than just first name.
- Make name caterpillars- Use circles to write letters on make and decorate with pipe cleaners for legs.
- Play games holding up appropriate letters and matching lower case letters to their upper case equivalent.
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Involve the children with setting up role play areas. Discuss what an explorer might need on his travels.
- Discuss the importance of caring for minibeasts.
- Talk about the very busy spider, why are spiders busy minibeasts? Discuss why some people are frightened of spiders. Talk about their fears.
- Role play scenario- mistreating minibeasts-right and wrong? Discuss consequences.
- Empathise with the friendly ladybird. Discuss consequences of Bad-tempered ladybirds behaviour (relate to own experiences) Ask why the ladybird was cross, what makes us cross?
- Opportunities for joining materials by using staplers, hole punches and sellotape.
- Fitness Trail
- Talk about healthy eating
- Obstacle courses
- Acting out the Hungary Caterpillar story
- Dance- I can float like a butterfly
- Go on a journey using numbered cones in different areas. Show a simple plan for the children to follow. Put things in each area for the children to collect as they go along.
- Maybe pictures of the fruits in the Hungary Caterpillar story collected that the children can put into the correct order as a final task.
- Using the playdough make caterpillars tale about which is the longest, shortest. Can they order them by size?
- Ladybird counting game
- Explore symmetry using mirrors and make symmetrical butterflies.
- Use positional language when making a snail trail book.
- Make letters from twigs, leaves stones
- Make letter shapes in the mud.
- Read and order events in stories.
- Learn about the feature of non fiction books.
Understanding of the World
- Programme Bee-bot.
- Draw minibeast using a paint program on the computer
- Go on a minibeast hunt(Outside)
- Set up a wormery.
- Introduce the Mini Butterfly Garden pack.
- Talk about the life cycle of a butterfly.
- Talk about and learn the life cycles of frogs and butterflies.
Expressive Arts and Design
- Make spiders out of black wool.
- Make spider webs using a paper plate and using sliver and black thread to make the pattern with.
- Weaving materials to make a web.
- Butterfly symmetrical paintings
- Painting different types of fruit represented in the story.
- Make Ladybirds using paint or glue and collage.
- Salt dough ladybirds
- Make junk model minibeasts.
- Use different types of paint such as powder, blocks and ready mix for children to paint animals. Provide a range of materials such as feathers, sawdust, cotton wool etc to add texture to the pictures.