EYFS Summer Term Week 4
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75NQK-Sm1YY a short animated film.
- Keep a food diary of the different foods you are eating at home. Record if you like them or not and why.
- Draw a picture of your favourite food and write a sentence to explain why.
- Make a shopping list with all the Hungry Caterpillars favourite foods.
- Have a go at using chalks outside. Can you draw a caterpillar or a butterfly. Try to write the words 'caterpillar' and 'butterfly'.
- http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/ Play some of the games from Phase 2 or 3.
- Sound out 'caterpillar' and 'butterfly' - try to pick out the sounds and have a go writing them down.
- Practice your cursive handwriting.
Here is a link to some maths activities.
Here are some other maths activities linked to our story.
- Have a go at singing our 'days of the week song'. Try and teach it to someone at home.
- Make some bunting and write on the days of the week. See if you can hang them up in the correct order.
- Cut out some different size caterpillars and try to order them by length (the shortest to the longest).
- Try the Hungry caterpillar counting sheet below. You could easily make some of your own with more circles to count. (see below)
Understanding of the world
- Talk about the life cycle of a caterpillar- have a go at making a life cycle picture from a tiny egg to a beautiful butterfly.
- Use an old plastic bottle to make a Bug Hotel for the garden. Observe carefully for a few days and see if you get any visitors.
- Go on a bug hunt in the garden or on a walk and see what amazing mini beasts you can find. You could draw some pictures or take some photo's.
- Talk to the children about what they were like as a baby. Share some photos of them at different ages and talk about how they have grown. Can they order the photos themselves. Encourage them to talk about how they might change as they grow up- encourage them to draw a picture.
- Have a go at folding paper to make zig zags. Give it a face to make a caterpillar
- Have a go at cutting some paper and fold together to make caterpillar paper chains.
- Talk about Healthy and Unhealthy foods. Have a go at sorting some foods and talk about having a balanced diet.
- Make some healthy fruit smoothies or fruit salads that you and the Hungry Caterpillar will love.
- Set up a fruit and veg shop for role play. Use some real money to buy items from the shop. You could write shopping lists of what the caterpillar might like to buy.
- Cut up and paint used egg cartons to make your own caterpillar.
- Have a go at painting your own butterfly. Can you make it symmetrical on both sides. Talk about the colours and have a go at colour mixing to see what colours you can make.
- Can you sing The Tiny Caterpillar song.