Special Educational Needs and Disability (S.E.N.D.) Local offer
The school's Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo) is Mrs Sally Mardling. She can be contacted at email@example.com or via contact numbers above. She works Monday to Wednesday in school. At other times please contact the school office for information or to speak to the relevant person.
All maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need/s being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.
For your child this would mean:
- That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
- That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
- Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
- Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff) are in place to support your child to learn.
- Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.
MDCP’s VISION for our SEND pupils at MDCP
Our VISION for the school and all pupils with SEND is ‘Growing together to be the We aim for all of our pupils to progress along the Skillsbuilder expectations and demonstrate our key values of being CONFIDENT COMMUNICATORS, RESILIENT LEARNERS, ASPIRATIONAL CITIZENS and COMMUNITY CHAMPIONS
We work towards achieving this as our MISSION is that ‘We work together so that everyone can achieve their unique potential’. This particularly resonates for our pupils with SEND as we want them to reach their full potential and be ready for the move to their next setting- ASPIRATIONAL CITIZENS
For the majority this will be to happily and confidently transition to mainstream secondary school. For others it may mean specialised provision- RESILIENT LEARNERS
We aim for all our pupils to find the best school for their needs and to work closely with families to ensure they have the best choice of onward education to meet their needs so that they can become valuable members of society. COMMUNITY CHAMPIONS
Whilst with us we work together with parents and carers to support