Caretaker required – 20 hours AM & PM split
Pay Scale G4 – L9-12 starting salary £8824.00
Market Deeping Community Primary School are looking to recruit a reliable, self-motivated and committed Caretaker who would want to fully involve themselves with the school and play a pivotal role in the local community.
This is a great opportunity to work as part of a committed team, providing a practical service to the staff and pupils of the school and to the local community.
You will be responsible for site security and general maintenance across the school site, liaising with external contractors as required. You will be the main key holder for the school and will act as the first point of contact for out of hours emergencies (after the key holding service)
Other responsibilities would include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Locking or unlocking of the school as required and ensuring general security of the site
- Routine maintenance of school buildings and grounds by undertaking minor repair work, for example changing light bulbs, erecting shelves, painting and redecorating, or minor plumbing
- Cleaning duties including litter picking and bin emptying.
- Maintenance of the two hall floors, including sweeping and buffing.
- Occasional moving of heavy objects for example stock, furniture, staging or other equipment
- Overseeing of external contractors visiting the school site, especially in holiday periods.
- Support the school policies and procedures, for example relating to child safeguarding and data protection, and contributing to the school ethos as a whole.
Part of your duties will also be to assist with Health & Safety ensuring that statutory tests are completed as required and that all equipment is in working order. You will be required to maintain basic records, including things like fire alarm tests, undertake legionella safety routines and emergency lighting checks.
The role will operate a split shift during term time working 7am – 8:45am and from 5pm – 6.15pm. Additional hours may be agreed for specific projects within the school. The working pattern during school holiday periods will be agreed and subject to the needs of the school. There will be some occasions where you will be required to open and close the premises outside of normal working hours.
A second part of the job, which is in addition to the main contract, is to deal with our lettings where you would need to undertake any setting up that is required, to welcome each letting in and be there to lock up after the lettings.
The successful candidate will preferably have:
- Previous experience of working in a similarly responsible site role, preferably within a school
- Ability to relate well to children and adults alike
- Basic Health & Safety knowledge, and willingness to adhere to the Code of Safe Working Practice (COSWP) for Caretaking and Premises Staff
- A background in plumbing, woodwork or general 'handy-work' or DIY would be advantageous
- The willingness to learn and train on the job
- A strong work ethic, the ability to work as part of a team, and a professional and proactive attitude
Market Deeping Community Primary School is fully committed to the safeguarding of children and the post is subject to DBS clearance
Application forms are available from the school office and from the website.
Tel: 01778 343654
Visits to the school are encouraged and very welcome.
Closing date for all applications: Noon on Tuesday 24th March 2020
Interviews: week commencing 30th March 2020